Doing a wiggle dance on a chair (while I was saying, "Get down before you fall"), Cooper fell and stubbed his toe, splitting his toenail. He then spent the afternoon limping, hoping, moaning, and layering on bandaids.
As I offered him little consolation, his toes turned elsewhere for support. They apparently found that support in "toe friends." You might not be aware of the concept of toe friends, but apparently toes have their own social networks. Cooper's toe friends include Grace's toes, Weston's toes, Kimball's toes, and, of course, the toes on Cooper's other foot.
These toes can carry on conversations with each other. They also perform acts independently of the toe owner. For example, on many occassions Cooper's toes have kicked his brothers--with no awareness on Cooper's part. His toes have also waged war on my hair, as they've (again completely autonomously)wound into my hair, pulling it and twisting it into knots.
Of course, the concept of free wheeling body parts is not new--e.g., thinking with the stomach. In fact, I think it explains a great deal of people's actions and words. Perhaps Chris Buttars (love Utah politics) is letting his toes speak for him rather than using his brain. And then voters let their hands randomly decide to vote for him, rather than using their brains and getting rid of him.
Well, I better log off since Cooper's feet, Weston's fists, and Grace's teeth are now battling in a self-governing, free-wheeling brawl.
3 comments:
Olivia occasionally yells at her brain, which is kind of disturbing.
(Oh, and Stella manages to fall off a chair and land directly on her head at least once a day.)
This explains all those "I didn't do it," comments I hear from ______ (name of child) when I enter the room in response to the blood-curdling screams emanating from _____ (name of other child) who is rolling on the floor in tears and agony. It wasn't any child, but the autonomous body part of one of any number of children. Perhaps I knew intuitively, maybe instinctively, that I should only punish the autonomous body part of that child; usually the bottom part.
I guess that explains why my voice often independently finds expletives on the freeway. It also explains why Ian would find a piece of garbage on the floor and his hands would independently put it in an unwilling mouth that would independently then eat it. I think this is also why I must continually pull Liam out of Ian's crib at night. His feet make him do it.
Post a Comment