Friday, February 27, 2009

A Night at the Opera

While studying insects this year, Coop's class wrote an opera. This week, they finally performed it. The plot and lyrics were written entirely by the first-graders. Additionally, they painted the sets and designed their costumes. As far as operas go, this one is my new favorite. Not only is the music catchy, but it was also very short, about 8 minutes--even Allen stayed awake for the entire performance (yes, there are some stories in that comment). Although his teacher called it an opera, Cooper disagreed. He explained to me that in real operas, "Women howl a lot. They are big and lay on things while they sing, and everyone wears old sheets." I will leave it to all of you to decide if it really counts as an opera. I've assembled a highlights video of the performance to give you a flavor of the event--enjoy! (Cooper is a praying mantis.)

4 comments:

susan said...

Without a doubt this is the finest opera I have ever seen, even if there were no overweight sheet-wearing women.

Lisa Sanderson said...

Cooper, Uncle Matt and I both think that you should seriously consider a career in the fine world of acting. You have definite dramatic leanings that could get you far. I have to admit that this small taste of the bug opera was simply not enough and would really like to see the opera in its entirety on Pa and Grandma Jamie's big screen. If you could arrange it I would appreciate it. Also if you could be there to give me the "insider's view point" I think that would be fabulous too. Have your people contact my people.
Love,
Aunt Lisa

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

I've seen a couple of 2nd-grade operas as well -- one was "Attack of the Ninjas" and the other was something about garbage-eating aliens. I hope they still do these when my kids are old enough to participate.

Quinn

Sarah F said...

Totally an opera. The most impressive thing is that the kids actually knew the words and sang them audibly. Awesome.