
(Kimball eating with mouth open, charming)
Kimball and I walked dinner to the backyard neighbors a couple of weeks ago after the neighbors had a new baby. Kimball, of course, asked me all about the actual process of getting a baby out. I gave him a brief description of the birthing process, and he asked, "Doesn't that hurt?" I told him that, yes, it hurt a lot. Then he astutely asked me, "Why does anyone ever do it again?"
Good question. I think the answer has something to do with the resilient nature of human beings. I recently chatted with a grandmotherly type, who told me I shouldn't wish these years away. What's to wish away? Yesterday, Grace dumped out a bookshelf, an entire box of cereal, and painted the kitchen floor with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Not to be left out of the fun, Weston created k'nex booby traps on all clean floor surfaces and dumped several cups of sugar into my newly purchased, non-salmonella peanut butter. And when Kimball and Cooper arrived home, they immediately began screaming at each other and randomly punching and kicking any person in range.
When this well-meaning woman told me not to wish it away, I took it as further proof that we are a resilient species. That or she was slightly senile.
Oh well, since my peanut butter is unfit for sandwiches, maybe today I'll bake peanut butter cookies. You know the saying: When life gives you sugar-encrusted peanut butter . . .

(Weston sleeping in the dog's bed surrounded by his mess)
2 comments:
Boy, it's almost like you are spying on my famiy. Now add a newborn and you get an idea of what life has been like this week. Oh, and yes, she's senile...her children made her that way.
Um, not that I'd know it, but the dog's bed can actually be quite comfy. Or so I've heard....
Post a Comment