Thursday, March 26, 2009

Personal Disclosure








I have been accused of only talking about other people on my blog and not disclosing anything about myself. To combat this nasty allegation, I have decided to disclose a few sordid personal details about myself:

  • I can sing but refuse to do so in public just in case Simon jumps out and catches me at it.
  • I have a lot in common with cartoon characters. For example, I have twice stepped on the prongs of a rake, making it strike me with great force. I saw stars on both occasions.


  • I loath bananas (don't tell my children). I gag just thinking of their mushy texture and bland flavor.

  • While not shy, I prefer not to talk about my own activities (successes and failures) that much. In fact, I think I've shared enough for one blog post.


  • Mr. Banana Grabber from Arrested Development, frightning

13 comments:

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

I used to share your distaste (texture/flavor) for bananas. Then I went on a mission to Ecuador, where you can't swing a cat without hitting a banana stand. The CEO of Chiquita Banana ran for president there.

My point is: if I can overcome my banana-hatred, anybody can. My other point is: you should move to Ecuador in order to acheive this.

Quinn

bjohnston said...

Have you actually swung a cat before? Just wondering.

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

Aww -- it's just an expression, like "ramma lamma ding dong" or "give peace a chance".

Sarah F said...

Becky, I feel like a finally know you.

And "swing a cat" is NOT just an expression, though properly rendered, it should be "swing a dead cat." Trust me.

Sarah F said...

Ignore all typographical errors in my comment.

Sarah F said...

When I say "typographical," I really just mean "typing." I make more typing errors than one could swing a dead cat at.

bjohnston said...

I once caught someone swinging a dead cat. . .

Dan said...

After reading the comments, I realized I too have a lot in common with cartoon characters. Like the one that says, "According to my research..." all the time. (Dorothy Ann from the Magic School Bus.) And my nerdy research from the Holy Grail of cat swinging is Wikipedia, where I discovered a fascinating entry on Absent Referent. “Some combinations of words are nonsensical and constitute what some call ‘word salad’. Linguist Noam Chomsky is famous for his phrase, ‘Colorless green ideas sleep furiously’, which is used to demonstrate the idea between syntax and meaning.” I found the entry while searching “Swinging Dead Cat,” though I am not certain why because there is no mention of swinging or cats anywhere in the article. I therefore am inferring by its absence, that there is no phrase, “Swinging a Dead Cat.” Rather there are “swinging cats,” which is antiquated jazz jargon illustrated by other cartoons characters: The Aristocrats.

Lisa Sanderson said...

Funny thing, I've never liked bananas either. I believe Garrett has swung my cat (poor Dizzy was still alive). I have not stepped on a rake, but I have walked into several walls (it is somehow better if you look where you are going). I also believe Simon stalks the streets searching for some poor soul who might spontaneously break into song in order to humiliate them.

Sarah F said...

Lisa--I am that poor soul. And it was humiliating.

Lisa Sanderson said...

You shouldn’t feel inhibited talking about your successes and failures on your own blog site that is frequented by friends and family. Anyone that does look on your site should be accepting and willing to laugh (good-naturedly and not spitefully) about any of your failures. Successes can sometimes be more difficult to post than failures because we don’t want them ridiculed or even worse, treated as unimportant. With that being said, I hope I don’t offend/humiliate you by congratulating you again on your peer review process of your paper. We are all very proud of you!
Matt, Lisa, Liam and Ian

Rachel said...

And speaking of swinging dead cats:
http://www.usmagazine.com/news/project-runway-finalist-arrested-for-throwing-cat-at-fiance-2009183

bjohnston said...

Rachel, what an incredible article--assault with a feline.