Wednesday, March 18, 2009

In the eyes of the beholder

After ten and a half years of marriage, Allen and I have gained a deeper appreciation and respect for each other, and we are the best of friends. However, we definitely approach life from different perspectives, and we must regularly negotiate between these two view points. Let me give you some examples. (To sound more detached and thus more valid, I have used generic “spouse” rather than “Allen”.)

My perspective: the last person out of bed should make it.
Spouse’s perspective: the last person out of bed should feel lucky.

My perspective: Doing the laundry involves washing, drying, folding, and putting away clothes.
Spouse’s perspective: Doing the laundry involves sticking random clothes into the washing machine (usually with soap). Eventually the clothes will dry themselves in there.

My perspective: Yards should avoid most lawn ornaments (particularly large angel statues), as they are tacky and make the yard look like a circus advertisement.
Spouse’s perspective: Yards should avoid all lawn ornaments, lighter potted plants, and large stones or landscaping bricks, as they can be used to break a window (why give someone a potential key to the house?).

My perspective: A good meal is colorful with red fruit and green veggies with a main course.
Spouse’s perspective: A good meal is colorful with red ketchup and green pickle relish on a Costco Bratwurst.

Anyway, I’m sure we have many other issues we see just a bit differently, but then again, maybe Allen would disagree with me!

4 comments:

Lisa Sanderson said...

Matt's perspective: Bed's should be made or the room isn't clean.
My perspective: I'm going to climb back in it later that day why should I make it?
Matt's perspective: A clean kitchen includes doing dishes and washing floors.
My perspective: A clean kitchen involves dishes and scrubbed counters, who cares about the floors I'm not eating off of them.
Matt's perspective: Children should be cleaned frequently and dressed neatly. Soiled children's clothing should be changed.
My perspective: Messy children are normal children. Too much cleaning causes eczema besides like the bed they will shortly be messy again and now you have more laundry to do.
I totally see your point Becky.
-Lisa

bjohnston said...

Perhaps every relationship needs a neat freak (but only one to maintain balance)--Matt, from one neat nick to another, I feel your pain!

Unknown said...

Too much worry about some things makes for a blunted sword.

Lisa Sanderson said...

I don't really know what that means but here is my motto...

Wits should be sharp, swords should be blunt.
-Lisa