Thursday, April 2, 2009

Off Track/Off Kilter or The Girl Who Cried Poopy (WARNING: rated B for bathroom humor)

The children are off track from school right now, which makes for a messy, chaotic, sometimes vulgar experience. Vulgar because the boys are obsessed with bodily functions. For example, one boy (who will remain anonymous) has had many discussions with me on the properties of farts: impact of diet on gas, ways to hide gas in a classroom setting, and overall stinkiness ratings. All three boys regularly have toys that perform bathroom activities as part of play.

Unfortunately, these habits seem to have rubbed off on Grace. She is very particular about the state of her diaper, and even a hint of urine has her upset. She usually chases me around crying mournfully, "Poopy, poopy, poopy!" Of course, when I check her diaper, nothing--at least nothing visible to the naked eye or nostril.

I hope all this bodes well for potty training since I was pretty sure the boys were going to be wearing pull-ups to their high school graduations. They just didn't care about the discomfort the way Grace does. With them, I would walk into the room, smell something suspicious, and have to hunt down the perpetrator who was only upset by the fact he had to stop playing.

With Grace, I have retired from the search and destroy missions, but I face a new challenge: the girl who cried poopy. My only hope is that with high tech tools--a pair of princess underwear and a new pink potty seat--I can move past this stage altogether.

4 comments:

Sarah F said...

In one of nature's more cruel twists, Grace's interest in sanitation will likely decline inversely relative to her ability to actually use the toilet by herself. Perhaps something in human nature says, "Sure I'm ABLE...but what's the fun in that?"

Janell said...

I am so glad I mostly have girls. Having grown up on fart discussions, I am glad to never have that particular conversation again.

Lisa Sanderson said...

I know when Liam is the poop instigator when I ask, "Liam did you poop?" and he screams and climbs into his closet shutting the door. If he ignores the question its probably Ian who is in the delightful stage where he tries to crawl away as you are wiping his naked stinky bottom.

luster said...

I am glad I am not the only one with sicko kids. It is never ending noises and potty talk, Brittin being the worse. My kids are just going off track, HELP!