Friday, November 20, 2009

plumber "science"

We bought a new house. Did our best to do due dilligence. Then we bought a warranty to take care of anything we missed. It all sounds easy, right?

The second week here, our garbage disposal broke and our bathroom faucett started dripping. I, of course, called Alliance Home Warranty. They gave me a name of a local contractor, and we were off and running.

I scheduled an appointment with Nelson's plumbing, and I was given the gaping 1-5 p.m. window. Of course, the plumber never showed.

Because I was stuck with this company due to my home warranty, I again scheduled an appointment for the next day and was told the same enormous timeframe of 1-5 p.m.

Wouldn't it be nice if I could schedule appointments that vaguely: "Hey, Doctor, not sure how my day's planned, so I'll be there sometime this week."

Of course, they again didn't show (not even a phone call).

The next day, the plumber finally arrived. He looked at the garbage disposal with a pen light and just glanced at the dripping faucett in the bathtub. Then he surreptitiously went to his truck to make a phone call, claiming he needed to get my warranty claim approved.

He returned back to the house a few minutes later to let me know that my issues were pre-existing conditions, as I had only bought the house a few weeks earlier. During our final walkthrough and home inspection, both these items were fine, so I really appreciate his scientific penlight test to determine how long the problem had been occuring.

He then charged me $60 and left.

Now I'll find a real plumber and get it taken care of.

4 comments:

Janell said...

If a person consistently shows crack that makes them a plumber right? If so I have the cutest plumber for you. She has curly hair and a cute laugh and of course the prerequisite plumber's crack. She'd probably even do the job for cookies and milk. Let me know and we can arrange a more convient window of time and I'll even ensure she shows up, seeing how I'll be the one driving!

bjohnston said...

I'll take her--she'd charge less and get more down!

bjohnston said...

oops--done

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

Love those home warranties. When our furnace went kaput, we found out that our home warranty would pay for only one model (in other words they wouldn't let us pick our furnace) and it wouldn't pay for installation of the furnace. There's not an HVAC company around that will install a furnace that you didn't purchase from them.

So, we bought the furnace we wanted and got a pittance check from the warranty company.

Quinn