Monday, December 7, 2009

FBLA: Future Bag Ladies of America

So about a week ago, I went to see New Moon with Claire and my mom (I know, I know, the book uses the words "chiseled marble" more than books discussing the statue of David).

The highlight of my night, however, was not the movie but browsing shops at the Gateway before the movie. Claire dragged us into Urban Outfitters where I realized I'm no longer cool (was I ever?).

Looking around, I saw gloves without fingers, oddly layered and wrinkled clothing in clashing patterns and colors, dark knitted hats, floppy pea coats. Where had I seen those fashions before? Then I figured it out, bag ladies.

Apparently, the fashion industry has hit a new low, and I never thought we could get any lower than the 80s. In an attempt to be original and fresh, some fashion designer somewhere decided to go for the down and out look.

Who can pull off a look like that? I mean maybe Audry Hepburn can pull off the dirty, urchin look, but who else can?



A few days after this startling revelation, I realized that Grace also dresses in odd clashing, bag lady attire. To top it off, she pushes around a shopping cart full of fake food, real food, and random treasures she finds on the floor. And somehow, like Audrey Hepburn, she manages to pull it off and still be cute.

3 comments:

Janell said...

That's because she's cool...and we're not!

Sarah F said...

When they did the homeless-style fashion line in the movie Zoolander, I thought it was a joke, not a prediction.

This coin has two sides, though. I slide in and out of style because I never bother ironing my shirts. When disheveled is in, so am I. When it's not, I'm so last year.

Lisa Sanderson said...

I too dress like a bag lady, not because it's stylish, but because I'm lazy. I don't look good and I don't look cute, I just look like a bag lady. I envy Grace and Audrey Hepburn's style.