Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Snail Incident

On Friday after school, Weston burst into the house, obviously very excited. Cradled in his hand was a live snail that he carried all the way home from school. He carefully handed this to me, saying, "Oh, Mom, I got you a late Christmas present."

Trying not to cringe at his slimey offering, I took it and set it on a tissue. Weston skipped off happily to play with Grace, Cooper, and Kimball.

Not five minutes later, Weston ran into the room, crying and begging for me to destroy the snail. Somehow his older brothers convinced him that he is now scared of snails. He kept worrying about their "poisonous slime" and their "slime parachutes" that let them attack your head.

Grace and Weston spent the next half an hour running around the house screaming that snails were coming after them.

As much as I tried to convince them that they could both outrun the snails, they just didn't believe me.

Ah, the power of older brothers.

5 comments:

Dan said...

Ah the power of poison slime and slime parachutes! I bet it kept Weston away from Kimball and Cooper for quite a long time. I'll have to remember that...

Lisa Sanderson said...

Tell Weston about the natural snail repellent, salt. With this defensive weapon no snail stands a chance. Also recommend Claire take him on a midnight snail hunt. If you collect more than twenty from mom's yard she buys you ice cream. Claire and I did that at least three times.

Greg said...

They need to see "Flushed Away" where the snails try to "run for their lives"...It might make them a little less snail-phobic.

Garrett B said...

The nail in the coffin would be escargot for dinner one night. You might end up with an "Alien" type scene.

susan said...

SLIME PARACHUTES! HAHAHA!

On that note, one time I went to Myrtle Beach with Aunt Beckie and Uncle Alan Kearl, and right before I went Rachel and Anna convinced me it was shark mating season. Despite all of Alan's best attempts to convince me there were no sharks bigger than a foot anywhere near where people were swimming, I didn't go in the ocean the whole vacation.