Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas is coming and coming and coming


The kids are bouncing off the walls, and Kimball keeps asking me, "Can't Christmas come any faster?" every time I make eye contact.

This year the kids have requested a different present from Santa every couple of seconds, particularly Weston. Weston's Christmas list has grown to such epic proportions that if he does get everything he wants, we will have to move into a bigger house to fit it all in.

Kimball and Cooper have grown more philosophical about the Santa situation and are willing to give Santa a little wiggle room, asking for surprises or general things.

However, when we visited Santa last Saturday, Cooper asked for a surprise and Santa offered him a variety of gift ideas: pink tutus, ball gowns, etc. So Cooper decided he better narrow it further to a "boy surprise."

Actually, the most stressful part of the holidays is attending the holiday parties. Before I had children, I actually enjoyed these get-togethers. Now I am on edge, waiting to see which of my children will throw up first. Yes, throw up.

Allen and I come up with all kinds of excuses to avoid parties, but really, it's all about the kids and puke. The problem started last spring at a wedding reception when one of the kids did little projectile action towards the wedding party. The next event occured when we went to a family member's 40th birthday party. Of course, right in front of the food line, blah.

So really it's not just Christmas parties that make me nervous, but any family gathering.

On Christmas Eve, we're having a few relatives over to celebrate. Perhaps for a party craft, we can make those paper bag reindeer puppets. Then the kids can flip them over and use them as airline-style emergency bags.

5 comments:

JoeK said...

I am not so worried about puke. I am more worried about Cy getting naked, Andrew breaking something valuable, good thing Elsie doesn't follow her brother's example.

Lisa Sanderson said...

My main concern is what will Liam destroy next, and for Ian are there any stairs? Lastly my concern is why did I yet again leave behind my diaper bag? In fact I think there is still one of our diaper bags at your house from the last time you guys watched Liam for us, and Ian threw up at Toys R Us. (Hmmm the puking fear is looking more valid than ever).

Sarah F said...

Fear of vomit. Is there a word for that? There's got to be.

Dan said...

There is a word for it actually: Emetophobia. According to a link on the dictionary.com website, emetophobia is "a fear of vomiting or of being around others who are vomiting." The linked site then adds this very helpful advice to all emetophobs (so listen up y'all):
"It is important to recognize that emetophobia is an anxiety disorder and not a separate condition. All phobias are symptoms of an anxiety disorder - because, if you weren't frightened, you wouldn't have the phobia and you shouldn't be frightened of things that don't pose any actual risk to you."

If you want to stop these fears, you must send $99.95 for the Linden Method. The testimonials are amazing. A 19 year-old that had called off her wedding because of her fear that she or someone she loved might throw-up on her wedding dress was actually able to get married.

I know this can help you too! (I'm verklempt! Or is it ferklempt? My Yiddish is rusty.)

Sarah F said...

I *do* want to stop these fears. Desperately. I also called off my wedding for the exact same reason. Thank you for the remarkable offer.