Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Grace and the Exchange Theory


The exchange theory posits that those who invest the most in a relationship have the least power; in other words, those who care are vulnerable, less power. While people have made salient arguments against this idea in some settings, Grace has been doing her best to support the theory in her family relationships.

For example, a couple of nights ago, our family sat around playing video games and reading and such. Grace ran into the room and hugged Weston around his waist. Weston ignored her and continued to watch Allen play a video game. Grace walked by me, and I held out my arms for a hug. She squealed out, "No!" and ran over to hug Weston again.

Soon Kimball and Cooper were both vying for her hugs, which she refused to give them. Instead, she hugged Allen and Weston repeatedly, but both of them were too involved in the game to pay any attention. Meanwhile, her older brothers were trying to lure her over with treats, toys, books, and noises. She never would let them hug her.

Scary to think how this tendency might play out when she starts dating.

2 comments:

Sarah F said...

I'm guessing that at 3 a.m., the balance of power shifts significantly.

Lisa Sanderson said...

I think, as a first hand witness, that Grace's power in her household is absolute. I've never seen anyone with so many people so completely wrapped around one tiny thumb.