My children's birthdays have turned into multi-day extravaganzas. How did this happen?
This year I planned to keep it simple: small friend party (without a meal this time)and dinner with parents and siblings. This idea sounds easy. However with three children born within the end of November to beginning of January timeframe, I don't think simple and easy are possible.
One of the things I overlooked was the necessity of the school treat. This means I create multiple rounds of dessert for every birthday. Weston's birthday dessert schedule was particularly complex. For preschool, he wanted cupcakes, muffins, grapes, bananas, and punch (he only got cupcakes and lemonade). For his friend party, he wanted an Indiana Jones cake and many flavors of ice cream (he got two). For his family dinner, he wanted pumpkin pie (what's wrong with leftover cake?).
Grace and I brought his preschool round of dessert to him during his usual snack time. His classmates immediately got bored of their activities and began chasing Grace around the classroom. One girl led the pack screaming, "Give me that baby. Just give me that baby."
Grace giggled and toddled as fast her stocky legs could move, prattling nonsense words the whole time. She was finally saved when Weston jumped between her and her pursuers, stuck out his hand, and yelled (in his best tough guy voice), "Stop! That baby belongs to me."
Of course, at home he has regularly requested that I give Grace to the neighbors. Maybe this birthday represents a change of heart.
3 comments:
Wow, will you throw me a birthday party this year? That menu of deserts sounded pretty dang good!
I think he just wanted a better present. Boys are devious that way.
I hear Grace has been favoring Weston lately. You know, insisting that he's the one to get her out of the crib. I think that baby DOES belong to Weston.
Post a Comment