A few years ago, Allen decided to adopt a dog. Being a social worker, he has this strange compulsion to save pathetic things. This dog was particularly obnoxious and unadoptable, so he now lives at our home. The first day at our house, he ripped up the carpet and needed two root canals after trying to chew through the subflooring and cement beneath it. Yes, we still own this animal.
Yesterday, we journeyed to the mountains with a large group of neighbors for a BBQ/outdoor party. It quickly devolved into a Lord of the Flies experience with children running wild through trees and attacking innocent goldfish. These poor fish were swimming happily in a small wading pool. The children were invited to scoop a fish into a cup and take it home. Of course, the kids poked them, held them in the air for several minutes, threw rocks into the pool, and caught and released the fish repeatedly. Several toddlers tried to swim with the fish as well.
We came home with two goldfish, which are now inhabiting my best mixing bowl until I find them a more permanent home. However, everytime someone walks in the room, the fish swim spastically around the bowl, desperately looking for somewhere to hide. Apparently, these fish ended up with PTSD after their trauma the night before.
Fish therapy anyone?
8 comments:
I personally suggest the porcelain route for such fish...in the end I think it is the most therapeutic and less terrifying than feeding them to your neighbors boa constrictor.
-Lisa
Hi guys, have you had to replace any fish yet? Do they like the new fish bowl and flower.
Soon after we were married, Lauralee bought me two goldfish. One of them -- Lloyd -- lasted only a few months before doing the "eternal backstroke." The other one -- Harry -- was apparently so distraught at losing his bowlmate that he jumped from the bowl on two seperate occasions in apparent suicide attempts. The second time he made it quite an alarming distance from his bowl when I found him. Convinced that further such attempts would be futile, he finally just gave up the will to live and passed away peacefully in his bowl. The moral of the story? I'm not sure, other than to say that if one of them goes, expect the other to follow him into the dark.
Quinn
Uh-oh--your story doesn't give me much hope. The first one bit the dust Sunday afternoon, only hours after this post. The poll still stands. However, it will only be for the survivor, Megatron.
At least you have named your fish in such a way that when you do kill it off, you can spin it as vanquishing the evil decepticon ruler, as opposed to what it might otherwise be called: the senseless torture ans slaughter of a traumatized, innocent, carefree, loving, kind, harmonious, little, delicate Goldfish. One of God's fellow creatures.
Yep - the name makes all the difference.
I am confused is this post going to relate back to the dogs or is it like the Simpsons where it starts out with one scenario and then the rest of the episode is about something else entirely?
Yes, I forgot to tie it together liked I'd initially planned. I just wanted to note that our house is full of pets with mental illness, perhaps giving a new meaning to animal therapy.
I can attest to that! I am surprised your fish survived the night...ours gave up the ghost around midnight.
Post a Comment