Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Circle of Life



When I picked up Grace from the babysitter's this week, my heart sank when our fabulous babysitter said, "We had a little incident today." Oh, how I dread those words.
This particular incident involved Grace biting a little boy her age. When we tried to talk to her about it, she seemed particularly pleased with herself. She told everyone she saw that night, "I bit D---" in a very matter-of-fact tone. We talked about it a lot, and on the steps to the babysitter's the next day she kept saying, "No biting D--, no biting D--"




I should have expected a biter in our family. After all, Daniel still shares horror stories of childhood when I used to chase him around, mouth open, ready to bite. Apparently, he is stilled scarred by this torture.
Maybe this is just one of those Lion King moments in our home. With Grace biting her brothers and her friends, the circle of life is now complete.

6 comments:

Lisa Sanderson said...

The circle of life is such cruel twisted thing. For instance my circle began with my perfect children (this was before I had them). I had a list of all the things my children would never do, and they were based off the annoying things other peoples children did. Now my children do ALL of those things. Anytime I child hits someone, runs off screaming, pees on a front porch, throws a tantrum, refuses to pay attention, chucks toys, spits out their food and so forth it is always always ALWAYS one of my children. Curse you circle of life. Becky take heart, the circle of life did you a favor, if Grace is just like you she's bound to be a huge success:)

Sarah F said...

Somewhere Mom is reading this and thinking, "Becky, part 2? Then just wait until she's a teen!" This is sure to be followed by maniacal laughter.
--G

Greg said...

Oh the joys of parenting. I am all too familiar with those "dreaded words."

Dan said...

From the day we arrive on the planet
And blinking, step into the sun
There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done
There's far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found
But the sun rolling high
Through the sapphire sky
Keeps great and small on the endless round

It's the Circle of Life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the Circle
The Circle of Life

At least Grace had the genetic wisdom to select D--- as her vampiric victim. He is probably a tender, kind-hearted child, who smiles a lot and everyone loves to be around. I feel like I know him well…

Don't worry Becky, biting is just a phase. It's the rest of your life with Grace you have to worry about. I think I will be humming this song to myself all weekend long.

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

Maybe Grace just has a protein deficiency and is subconciously trying to bring herself back to homeostasis. It's just a theory.

Quinn

luster said...

At least it was just an action and not words, Brittin has told some hum dingers, that I have had to back track out of. Just wait for those.