This year, the boys don’t take the bus to school. Instead, Allen and I have the fun of taking them on a 25 minute drive every morning. This morning I drove. On the way, the boys suggested possible blog topics: dead goldfish haunting our old house, Weston losing two teeth, Grace’s silly phrases, my job changes, etc.—all good ideas.
Then we arrived at the school. I pulled over in front of the school, and noticed cars starting to line up behind me. I looked toward the back two rows of seats, “Hey, boys, have a fun day!”
I didn’t see any movement in the back seats. I glanced in the rearview mirror where other vehicles were waiting for the prime drop-off spot. “Come on, guys, we’re holding up traffic.”
I saw a movement but quickly realized it was only Cooper stretching. After a long pause, I heard zipping. “Why do I hear zipping? What did you possibly unzip during this car ride?”
Someone started kicking at a seat. “Why is no one leaving the car? All of you get out now.”
I could feel the car shake a little, and I noticed Weston was bouncing on his seat. “Out! Now!”
Behind me the cars started to honk their horns in annoyance since we were exceeding the quick one minute drop off time intended for the spot.
Cooper then started shouting, “You are supposed to get out first, Kimball. I’m waiting for you and your dumb poster.”
Kimball began to shout back, “I have to get my lunch and book in my backpack, Stupid.”
Weston joined in by making random noises. Cooper, still not leaving the car, hit Kimball’s poster repeatedly, “I guess I’ll just destroy your poster then.”
Finally someone opened the door and all three boys burst out, stomping away. Of course, the left the car door open. They also left me with a new blog topic.
5 comments:
sounds like our car rides to church,kids " you have to carry the church bag, no I carried it to the car", "no I did, well it is too heavy", then dad,"we wont have a church bag if you can't carry it", kid " your so dumb, why do I always have to carry it" Mom " lets get in before they pass the bread and water"
And to think this may get worse before it gets better.
1. I'm glad your boys take an interest in your blog, even to the point of proposing topics
2. They would make terrible "rail riding" hobos
--G
I just love the reasoning and logic that produces things like, 'since you won't get out of the car, I will destroy your poster.' Logic like this is why no scout of any age can be trusted with a pocket knife, matches, or insect repellent; and under no condition should they have access to all three at once.
I do a lot of forcible dragging of my children to get them out of the car. Liam likes to either 1. climb to the roof of the car to dance 2. hide on the floor or my favorite 3. Dash up front twist the rear view mirror, honk the horn, turn on the hazards and otherwise wreak havoc on the car.
Ian just screams and or runs away.
Post a Comment