Wednesday, August 12, 2009

An Inconvenient Truth

Eight years ago, we had one small child and decided it was time to stop our transitory, apartment lifestyle and settle down in a house. At the time, the little 3 bedroom/1 bath home seemed cute and endlessly roomy. So roomy, in fact, that we immediately begin filling it with stuff: couches, kitchen table, actual beds and dressers, toys, toys, toys, more children, two dogs, dead goldfish--you get the picture.

Now we are in the painful process of moving all that stuff, and in the course of moving, I've discovered something: we are disgusting. Oh, I thought we were I okay. I vacuum regularly, dust, wash blinds, scrub toilets, etc., but as we've moved all our junk out I learned I was wrong, very, very wrong.

Here are a few nasty things I've discovered in the process: dried out banana peel behind cabinet, someone's nose nugget collection on a previously covered wall, mysterious brown chunks under frame of boy's bed, LOTs of dust and lint, and dog hair in every crevice between the floorboards and carpet. Eeew!

We are filthy. No wonder I always have allergies. How did we come to this?

5 comments:

Sarah F said...

I never think about how filthy my car is until I give someone a ride. However, the filth lurking in the hidden places of a house is more insidious. It's not just a matter of tuning out the garbage but of really believing it doesn't exist.

I recommend leaving the booger wall as is and cleaning the rest.
--G

Lisa Sanderson said...

When people get a ride in my car or see my filthy house I explain it as follows, "Oh yeah the mess? We sublet it to a hobo." This works for both the cheerio encrusted car as well as the teddy graham covered couch.
-Lisa

bjohnston said...

I finally washed my nasty, nasty car two days ago because I had to take it for an emissions inspection. With the shame of my messy house weighing heavily on my soul, I just couldn't expose a messy car too.

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

On the bright side, I guess you're not as Monk as you had originally thought!

Quinn

MBK said...

I vividly remember moving the bed of one of my children and discovering yellow stains on the wall and carpet. Turns out it was just too far to go down the hall... you know how that is. The good news is that you get old, get cataracts and it all disappears along with the children.