Last night we bought the seventh season of Monk, our favorite detective show. Although I’m not a huge TV watcher, I managed to make it through four episodes in that first evening.
Why am I drawn in by this show?
Well, the mysteries are usually interesting, and the characters are funny. But I think the real reason is that I secretly relate to Monk. Oh I don’t have to touch every light post in town or boil my toothbrush after every use. However, I do use Lysol wipes around the house in a sort of frenetic fashion. In fact, I’ve been known to stick my hand out and say, “Wipe!” Unfortunately, I have no assistant, and the kids just stare at me, so I’m forced to find a wipe on my own before attacking the montage of chocolate handprints and milk spills decorating the floor.
My kids also exhibit habits eerily similar to Mr. Monk’s. At Costco a few months back, Cooper, unthinkingly, touched every jar in the aisle until Weston grumped at him, “Cooper, you are Monk. Stop and come to the cart.” Monk has actually become a rather standard referent in our household for many activities (eating, cleaning, playing games, etc.).
Well, I’m off to watch another episode. You are welcome to join me, as long as you bring along some wipes.
7 comments:
This comment is purely for Cooper. Cooper, thank you for informing us every time you have a new post up. Today at Grace's party, you told us all about Monk. Having not heard of him I asked if he was Catholic. You said you didn't know, but you did know he was obsessive compulsive. Cooper you are a very smart child. Please continue to let us know the next time your mom puts up a new post. I greatly enjoy it.
Aunt Lisa
We like Monk too, we don't have cable and it comes on Sat. and the tivo gets it, we started by renting the dvds from the library. It kind of reminds me of walker texas ranger, the acting sometimes in the earlier ones is so bad, not monk but all the other characters, we really like Law and Order CI. With MOnk I might be able to figure them out but Law and Order CI a lot goes over my head.
I don't know if this is Monk-like, but I try to use my left hand all the time just in case I lose righty somehow.
--G
Garrett, I can appreciate that. You never know when you'll be hiking in Moab, get trapped under a rock, and have to cut off your own arm to escape. Best to be prepared for these eventualities.
I've never got into that show, mostly because (to me) that actor will always be the taxi driver from Wings.
I identify with Monk. He has the same vaporizer in his bedroom as I do...
I identify with Monk. He has the same vaporizer in his bedroom as I do...
Post a Comment