Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Even short car rides can be an adventure

While I was driving Weston to his first play date with a classmate, Kimball and Cooper started snapping at each other. Weston, sitting in the far back, spoke up in a soothing voice: “Kimball and Cooper, I am going to my first play date in my new school, and I need you to be on your best behavior in the car.”

It worked pretty well, and the older brothers calmed down. However, Kimball realized he might get into trouble and have to do chores or some other form of penitence at home. He pre-empted any punishment by offering to take me out and buy me something with his essay award money. (Kimball won first place in a school writing contest, winning $30).

Cooper immediately told him, “Mom can’t be bought with just thirty dollars . . . you’d need at least a couple hundred.”

7 comments:

Greg said...

woo hoo--thirty bucks is pretty big cash :) I think my kids could buy me for that much ;)

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

Wise beyond their years.

Lisa Sanderson said...

You're kids always say the most precocious things I've ever heard. I miss those boys and girl a ton. Love you guys.

Jamie Burnett said...

Well, everyone has their price...

Garrett B said...

I think the inmates are officially running the asylum.

CP said...

Do you think the children would be interested in bartering their way out of chores with me?...

luster said...

I want to read his essay,